Glenisla Golf Club 2002


The day started in the usual fashion - The Peterculter contingent turned up nursing a 'scratch' hangover. The McCombies kept it in the family with both Jim and the loon, Shaun, flying the flag for alocoholics. Shaun definitely earned the first prize of the day for the best spew out of a taxi.

The group gathered at the rail station in Aberdeen and boarded the luxury coach to take us to Glenisla. There was panic in the ranks when it was discovered by the group that Dod, the self appointed 'Kitty Man', was absent due to work committments - Who was going to take the role! After much debate it was decided that Andy Rose, a non-player and the official photographer for the day, would do it. After being unanimously voted in, the group found out he was an accountant but calls for a re-vote were quashed. Jim and Shaun missed out on the vote as they were comitosed at the back of the bus.

The early betting again favoured Phil, who was looking to become the first two time winner of the event, however the smart money was staying well clear of the Peterculter clan as every one of them were still drinking until 5 am that morning. Bob Reilly was again spreading rumours that he was in the form of his life, and the fact that he had played at Glenisla the year before was proclaimed to be the one to watch.

The golf was played in near perfect conditions; bright sunshine and warm with a slight breeze. Despite the conditions, nobody broke par. Andy Buchan had the unfortunate honour of recording the highest score at one hole - an 11 at a par 4, and John Murray managed to keep a 3 off his card! At the top of the leader board, Nick Frost in his rookie year produced a very steady round and eventually finished third. On completing his round, Stewart, the defending champion, spent the day panicking as he thought that he had retained the trophy. He was worried about filling up the Quaich again and standing his hand. However, he was the most relieved man in Scotland when Rod Snr became the first on the tour to win the trophy for a second time. It was won with a level par score of 36 points.

The afternoon 9 hole Texas scramble, was won by Iain, Craig, Big Davey and Jim with a score of 26.5.

After the prize-giving, the putting competition took place on the prctice green.It was decided that we would all use the same putter. (A mistake that will not be repeated next year!) After nearly one hour on the green, using Iain Sellars' ancient wooden handled mini putter, the distance to hole was progressively reduced from 40 to 3 feet, when Bob Reilly finally triumphed. His winning prize of £120.00 was a welcome addition to the kitty.

Yet again, we drank the clubhouse dry of the official outing drink - Drambuie.

The bus journey home saw Phil and his brother Jim, competing for the title of 'King of Karaoke'. Songs of the 60's and 70's reverbarated throughout the coach until we reached Aberdeen.

Upon reaching Aberdeen, The Chief decided that he wanted to 'go up the toon', so he was chaperoned by Rod, Nick and Andy. The Chief was quickly refused entry to the The Priory, apparently because he was too drunk. He was actually refused because he was too old! How he managed to gain entry to Revolution remains a mystery.