Piperdam Golf Club 2003


The group gathered at the rail station in Aberdeen and boarded the luxury coach to take us to Piperdam in Fowlis. This year our coach was 'upgraded' to a 52 seat coach complete with onboard chemical toilet. The group were glad to see Dod return to the event, to again ensure that this years kitty would be handled well. Due to injury, Gary took the role of 'official' photographer this year.

This years event was by far the most open. Phil and Jim had decided to take up an invitation to try their luck on the European tour and grace the fairways of Southern Spain, including Valderamma. ie got pished on cheap beer for a week!  Bob Reilly was again spreading rumours that he was in the form of his life, (in his own mind), and given his past record was clearly not going to be a contender. See Leader Board.

The golf was played in tricky conditions; overcast with a stiff breeze coming across the course. Despite the conditions, five players managed to make/or beat par.Ian Dunsmuir had the unfortunate honour of recording the lowest ever Stableford score for the event - 14 points for the round, without recording an NR! Rod Phillips Snr put up a great defence for the trophy, but it was Iain Ritchie, who found his Millennium form again and regained the trophy, scoring 41 points. Scoring a remarkable three 2's at the par 3's sealed his victory, and he is now just able to shake of his 'Ian Baker-Finch' tag.

The afternoon 9 hole Texas scramble, another close affair, was won by Dunsies Dynamoes - Ian Dunsmuir, Ian Trotter, Niall Ritchie and Andy Buchan with a score of 30.9.

After the prize-giving, the putting competition took place on the prctice green.Again the rules were changed - if you missed the hole with your putt, you had to swig a nip from a bottle of J&B whisky. AS we went into round three, there were some sorry sights.A gallery soon developed from the clubhouse and the entertainment provided certainly brightened up their bank holiday weekend. After four elimanation rounds, we got down to the last three. Andy Rose had raked in a 20 footer early on in round three and was celebrating victory, only for Dunsie and Nick McLeod to sink a couple of beauties to force a play-off. Andy Rose, however, triumphed which completed his best tournament by far.

For the first time, the clubhouse still had the official outing drink - Drambuie - at the end of the night, having stocked up prior to the event starting. A big compliment to the catering and bar staff, who served us all well.

The bus journey home saw the usual sing song - Phil had compiled a tape for the bus, and there was even song sheets. The usual cats choir belted out songs of the 60's and 70's which reverbarated throughout the coach until we reached Aberdeen.

Upon reaching Aberdeen, the usual suspects headed 'up the toon'. Iain Sellar was desparate to continue the party, but as he could barely walk, had to be physically restrained in the taxi by Big D. Nick, Frosty and The Chief lost each other in the Chicago Rock cafe and went home early, but the die-hards made it into Jumpin' Jacks. The champ, Iain, celebrated into the night, but came unstuck when, on the way home, had to get out of his taxi to 'spue in to a bush'. The taxi drove off and it took Ian a further hour to walk the 500 yds to his house!

Another great day was had by all, roll on next year.